Afternoon Wire: August 3, 2026 — Trump Halts Iran Strike as Talks Hang in the Balance

ByEduardo Bacci

August 3, 2026
The U.S. Capitol, west frontThe U.S. Capitol. (Public domain photo via Wikimedia Commons)

WASHINGTON — The week opens with the United States stepping back — at least for now — from what President Trump described as a planned large-scale strike on Iran, even as Tehran and Washington offer conflicting accounts of whether negotiations are actually underway. At home, wind-driven wildfires have destroyed hundreds of structures around Spokane, a third state has opened an investigation into former White House chief medical adviser Anthony Fauci, and voters in Virginia and Kansas head to the polls tomorrow. Here is your Afternoon Wire for Monday, August 3, 2026.

Government

White House calls off Iran strike; talks in question

President Trump announced Saturday night that he had called off a planned military strike on Iran, writing on Truth Social that “the perimeters of a deal had been agreed to” — an arrangement he said would reopen the Strait of Hormuz to commercial traffic and address Iran’s nuclear program, according to Axios. The president said the operation he halted would have been, in his words, “the biggest attack since World War II.” Bloomberg reported that the decision came in part after appeals from U.S. allies in the region, including Saudi Arabia, and that the president said Israel had joined the decision to hold off.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One on Sunday, the president said negotiations with Tehran would begin Monday afternoon, crediting envoy Steve Witkoff, Jared Kushner and Vice President JD Vance for the diplomatic push, CNBC reported. He did not disclose a venue or participant list. Tehran’s account differs sharply: The Washington Post reported that Iranian officials rejected the claim that talks would restart, capping what the paper called a weekend of whiplash. Reports carried by Iran International, an opposition-aligned outlet, indicate Tehran has instead been negotiating with Oman over a temporary safe corridor through the Strait of Hormuz. As of publication, neither government had confirmed that direct talks convened today; CBS News live coverage is tracking developments.

Spokane fires destroy hundreds of structures; federal declaration requested

Wind-driven wildfires burning in and around Spokane — the Old Trails, Autumn Lane and Fairview fires, now managed as a single complex — had burned more than 5,300 acres by Sunday morning, with roughly 700 structures destroyed and more than 65,000 people under evacuation orders, according to a state Emergency Operations Center report cited by the Washington State Standard. Local officials have described the fires as among the worst disasters the region has faced, CBS News reported.

Gov. Bob Ferguson declared a statewide emergency Saturday, imposed a statewide burn ban through September 30 and mobilized the Washington National Guard to assist with evacuations and traffic control, according to NPR. On Sunday, Ferguson formally requested a federal emergency declaration, the Lynnwood Times reported, and said he had spoken with President Trump about additional federal assistance. FEMA said Sunday it had authorized federal fire-management assistance funds for several of the fires, and Ferguson voiced optimism about quick approval of the broader request, according to KOMO News. The White House’s decision on the declaration is pending.

Congress: Senate’s last week in town, with a December funding bridge on the table

The Senate is in its final scheduled week of business before leaving Washington until September 14, according to the chamber’s published 2026 calendar; the House has already begun its district work period and is slated to return August 31 for a single week. Before leaving, the House passed H.R. 9770, a continuing resolution that would extend current government funding through December 4, by a vote of 220–205, according to an industry summary of the congressional schedule.

The measure is intended to head off a September 30 shutdown while preserving time for full-year appropriations negotiations. The Senate has not yet acted on the bill, and the compressed fall calendar — thinned further by the midterm campaign — leaves little margin for error when members return. Whether Senate leadership takes up the House’s December 4 date or presses for a different endpoint will be one of the first questions of the September session.

Courts

Louisiana becomes third state to open a Fauci investigation

Louisiana Attorney General Liz Murrill announced that her office will investigate former National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases director Anthony Fauci, The Hill reported, making Louisiana the third state to do so after Florida and Alabama opened inquiries last week, according to Just the News. The announcements follow a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee hearing at which Fauci invoked his Fifth Amendment rights more than 100 times, and the release of more than a thousand pages of what committee investigators describe as Fauci’s pandemic-era diaries, which they say appear to show discrepancies between his public and private statements.

The state-level activity reflects a legal reality: the preemptive federal pardon issued to Fauci in January 2025 forecloses federal prosecution for conduct during the covered period, but it does not bind state prosecutors. That said, the investigations are at an early stage — no state has filed charges, no court has made any finding of wrongdoing, and it remains untested whether any state criminal statute reaches the conduct at issue. Fauci has previously defended his pandemic-era record in sworn congressional testimony, and any charges would face significant jurisdictional hurdles.

Twin Falls investigators identify In-N-Out gunman; motive still unknown

Police in Twin Falls, Idaho, identified the suspect in Saturday’s shooting at an In-N-Out Burger restaurant as a 24-year-old man authorities believe acted alone, NBC News reported. Three people were killed, including a restaurant employee, and seven were injured. Investigators say the gunman died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound after being confronted by an armed off-duty Idaho state trooper and a private citizen, according to CBS News.

Police Chief Matthew Hicks credited the two men who returned fire with driving the suspect from the scene and preventing further casualties, the Associated Press reported. A motive remains under investigation, and officials cautioned that the inquiry is ongoing.

Voter-list injunction stands as midterms approach

A ruling issued a week ago today continues to shape the election-administration landscape: the First Circuit Court of Appeals upheld an injunction blocking the March executive order that directed federal agencies to compile a “state citizenship list” of eligible voters and instructed the Postal Service to deliver mail ballots only to people on that list, CBS News reported. Twenty-three states sued, arguing that the Constitution assigns election administration to the states and Congress rather than the executive.

The panel majority wrote that the order would impose “unprecedented levels of involvement by federal officials in how states administer elections” and could “sow confusion and threaten disenfranchisement” if implemented before November, according to the Associated Press. The injunction leaves the order unenforceable in the suing states while litigation proceeds; the administration’s next procedural step has not been announced. With mail-ballot preparations for the midterms already underway in many states, the practical window for any revived version of the order is narrowing.

Second Amendment docket takes shape

The Seventh Circuit’s 2–1 decision last month upholding Illinois’ Protect Illinois Communities Act — the state’s ban on certain semiautomatic firearms and standard-capacity magazines — continues to reverberate, with plaintiffs expected to seek Supreme Court review, Courthouse News reported. Judge Amy St. Eve, writing for the majority, called the law “but another chapter” in a long tradition of restrictions on particularly dangerous weapons; Chief Judge Michael Brennan dissented.

The ruling landed just after the Supreme Court agreed to hear challenges to the Cook County and Connecticut weapons bans, the Chicago Sun-Times reported — setting up what could become the Court’s most consequential Second Amendment term since Bruen. Filings this fall will determine whether the Illinois cases are consolidated or held pending the outcome.

International

Ukraine strikes Engels air base as Russia’s offensive stalls

Ukraine’s General Staff confirmed overnight strikes Sunday on the Russian air base at Engels and an oil refinery in Saratov Oblast, according to Kyiv Post reporting. Ukraine’s air force said it downed 109 of 133 drones Russia launched overnight, and Ukrainian officials reported six people killed and more than 80 injured in Russian attacks over the preceding day.

Independent analysis suggests the broader front remains largely static: the Institute for the Study of War assesses that Russia’s spring-summer offensive has failed to make operationally significant gains two and a half months in, even as Moscow fired a record number of missiles at Ukraine in July — a volume analysts say exceeds Russia’s monthly production rate, according to a GlobalSecurity summary of the ISW assessment. The tempo of deep strikes on Russian energy and military infrastructure, meanwhile, has become a defining feature of Kyiv’s summer campaign.

Gaza strikes continue despite Washington’s ceasefire push

Israeli strikes hit Gaza for a second consecutive day Sunday, killing 18 people according to Palestinian health officials — the largest daily toll in weeks — even as the White House points to progress implementing last year’s ceasefire framework, wire reports carried by the Honolulu Star-Advertiser indicate. Casualty figures from the enclave could not be independently verified.

Israeli Energy Minister Eli Cohen, a member of the security cabinet, said there was “no deal” to halt operations and argued Israel should take full control of the Strip, of which it already controls roughly 70 percent, Al-Monitor reported. The gap is notable: President Trump said last Thursday that Hamas and other armed groups had agreed to disarm under terms that include Israeli withdrawal and a gradual transfer of authority to a Palestinian administration — conditions that have drawn a cool reception from Israeli ministers. Reconciling the diplomatic track with events on the ground remains the central challenge for U.S. mediators.

Scarborough Shoal filing hardens South China Sea positions

The Philippines has deposited with the United Nations its official nautical chart establishing baselines around Scarborough Shoal, prompting Beijing’s Foreign Ministry to declare the move “illegal and invalid,” and prompting Taipei — which also claims the feature — to reiterate its own sovereignty position, according to a report from Taiwan’s Central News Agency, the island’s state-funded wire service.

The filing is an administrative step, but it formalizes Manila’s legal position over a feature claimed by three governments and comes amid what regional reporting describes as expanded Chinese coast guard and maritime-militia activity east of Taiwan and near the Taiwan-controlled Pratas Islands through June and July, the Taipei Times reported. Legal filings of this kind tend to outlast news cycles: they become the reference points for future arbitration and freedom-of-navigation arguments.

Tomorrow’s Watch — Tuesday, August 4

Primary day in Virginia and Kansas

Virginia voters choose nominees Tuesday in a slate of U.S. House contests — Democratic primaries in the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th districts, and Republican primaries for U.S. Senate and in the 5th, 7th and 10th districts, according to Fox 5 DC’s voter guide and WWBT Richmond. Kansas also holds its statewide primary Tuesday, per published election calendars. Results will begin filling in the November map in several districts both parties consider competitive.

Labor-market data week begins in earnest

The Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey is scheduled for release Tuesday morning, opening a data-heavy week that includes the ISM services index Wednesday and culminates in Friday’s July jobs report, according to Kiplinger’s economic calendar. Consensus forecasts point to roughly 85,000 jobs added in July, which would mark an improvement over June’s 57,000, per CMC Markets’ week-ahead outlook.

Also on the radar

Watch for confirmation of whether U.S.–Iran negotiations actually convene, and in what format, after Tehran’s public denial; the White House’s decision on Washington state’s federal emergency declaration request as containment efforts around Spokane continue; and Senate floor action in the chamber’s final week before the long recess, where the House-passed December 4 funding bridge awaits a response.


The Afternoon Wire is compiled from public records, official statements and contemporaneous news reporting; every factual claim above is linked to its source. Casualty figures and characterizations attributed to governments or parties to litigation reflect those parties’ accounts. Individuals and entities named in pending investigations are presumed to have committed no wrongdoing unless and until proven otherwise; The Investigative Journal welcomes responses from any party named in this briefing.

ByEduardo Bacci

Investigative journalist and founder of The Investigative Journal. Specializing in OSINT-driven reporting on corporate malfeasance, government accountability, and institutional corruption.