Morning Wire: August 10, 2026 — Netanyahu Rejects U.S.-Backed Gaza Plan; Blanche Confirmed 50-49

ByEduardo Bacci

August 10, 2026
West front of the United States CapitolThe U.S. Capitol, west front. Photo: Martin Falbisoner via Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 3.0)US Capitol west side by Martin Falbisoner, Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 3.0. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Capitol_west_side.JPG

WASHINGTON — Good morning. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s rejection of the U.S.-backed Gaza roadmap — a framework Hamas says it has accepted — leads the wire, hours after the Senate confirmed Todd Blanche as attorney general in a 50-49 overnight vote. A federal appeals court has kept White House ballroom construction on hold pending a promised Supreme Court appeal, and the UAE says an Iranian missile struck one of its tankers in the Strait of Hormuz as talks over the waterway continue. Four states hold primaries Tuesday, and July inflation data lands Wednesday. Here is what you need to know this morning.

Government

Senate confirms Blanche as attorney general, 50-49, in overnight session

The Senate voted 50-49 in the early hours of Saturday to confirm Todd Blanche as attorney general, capping a contentious confirmation fight, according to NPR. The vote came after 4 a.m. as the chamber worked through a late-night session ahead of its planned August recess. Republican Sens. Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska joined all Democrats in opposition, CNN’s roll-call tally shows. Blanche, who previously served as deputy attorney general, becomes the second confirmed attorney general since President Trump returned to office.

The nomination had stalled over concerns from Republican Sens. John Cornyn and Thom Tillis about a proposed $1.776 billion “anti-weaponization” fund; the senators supported advancing the nomination after Blanche confirmed the fund had been dissolved, NBC News reported. Speaking at a Camp David Cabinet meeting Friday, the president said the fund “is dead” and praised Blanche’s record. With confirmation complete, attention at the Justice Department turns to Blanche’s early personnel and enforcement priorities, which he outlined only in broad terms during the confirmation process.

Pentagon presses defense industry for faster weapons deliveries

Deputy Defense Secretary Steve Feinberg has given defense contractors no more than 21 days to submit plans for “significantly faster, more aggressive delivery schedules and/or increased production for critical capabilities,” according to a memo reported by The Washington Post. “Years-long development cycles are not acceptable,” Feinberg wrote, in a directive the Post reports will inform the fiscal year 2028 budget submission.

The push follows months of conflict with Iran that have drawn down U.S. stockpiles of advanced interceptors, including Patriot and THAAD rounds, CNBC reported. The memo reportedly identifies next-generation air defense, surface-to-air missile systems, satellite communications and space-based missile tracking among priority programs. White House officials are expected to meet with executives from major prime contractors as the effort accelerates, according to wire reports. The 21-day response window puts contractor submissions on track for late August.

HHS moves forward with sweeping Head Start deregulation

The Department of Health and Human Services is proposing to eliminate roughly 1,400 regulations governing Head Start, the federally funded early education program serving about 700,000 low-income children, according to Associated Press reporting. Administration officials say the changes announced Thursday would shift decisions on staffing ratios, family services and other standards to local operators, and estimate the overhaul could generate more than $2 billion in savings that could allow the program to serve more children.

Early-childhood policy experts quoted in the AP’s reporting caution that removing federal standards could erode program quality benchmarks that have defined Head Start for decades. The proposal now moves through the federal rulemaking process, where public comments and potential legal challenges will shape the final rule. The move follows earlier restructuring of the program’s support staff and regional offices, The Hill reported.

Courts

D.C. Circuit keeps White House ballroom construction on hold; Supreme Court appeal promised

A divided panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit on Friday affirmed a district court injunction blocking above-ground construction of the White House ballroom while permitting below-ground work to continue, NBC News reported. The 2-1 ruling held that whether “a massive ballroom should be constructed is for Congress to decide and is not a matter for Executive self-help,” and stayed its own effect for 14 days to allow the administration to seek Supreme Court review.

President Trump said he would appeal “immediately,” arguing the project — which includes an underground complex housing military and security facilities — is “required for the National Security of Washington, D.C.” The panel majority wrote that its decision “does not even necessarily mean that the Defendants may not ultimately construct the ballroom,” but that congressional authorization is required. The National Trust for Historic Preservation, the plaintiff, welcomed the decision. The 14-day stay places a Supreme Court filing on a clock that runs out August 21; district court proceedings continue on an expedited schedule.

Election executive order litigation awaits Supreme Court action before midterms

The administration’s emergency application asking the Supreme Court to lift a lower-court order blocking portions of the president’s elections executive order — including mail-ballot provisions — remains pending, according to Votebeat, which reports the application was filed August 3 with an eye toward the midterm election calendar. Separately, a federal judge has blocked implementation of the order’s proof-of-citizenship requirements, The Hill reported, and voting-rights groups have filed a renewed preliminary injunction request targeting the mail-voting restrictions.

No ruling has issued on the emergency application, and the underlying cases remain pending. The timing question is central: state election officials begin finalizing midterm ballot procedures in the coming weeks, which both sides have cited in their filings, records indicate. Any Supreme Court action this week would be among the most consequential election-administration developments of the cycle.

Judge enforces order preserving VA union contracts

U.S. District Judge Melissa DuBose of Rhode Island granted a motion to enforce her preliminary injunction preserving collective bargaining at the Department of Veterans Affairs, acting on the eve of the department’s planned August 8 termination of its agreement with the American Federation of Government Employees, Government Executive reported. It is the third time the department’s effort to cancel the contracts has been turned back in her courtroom, according to the report.

The dispute traces to a March 2025 executive order ending collective bargaining at the VA and other agencies on national-security grounds. The litigation is ongoing, and the department has not publicly stated whether it will appeal the enforcement order.

International

Netanyahu rejects U.S.-backed Gaza roadmap that Hamas says it accepts

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday rejected the U.S.-backed roadmap for the next phase of the Gaza peace plan, saying Israeli forces will not withdraw until Hamas is “genuinely” disarmed, The Washington Post reported. Hamas has said it accepts the framework and called on the United States, as guarantor, to press Israel to adhere to it, according to CBS News.

The dispute centers on sequencing: the roadmap reportedly envisions Israeli withdrawal proceeding in tandem with disarmament, while Israel insists withdrawal follow complete disarmament. President Trump has previously described the framework as a “historic agreement for the complete disarmament of Hamas.” How Washington responds to the impasse — and whether the implementing body known as the Board of Peace adjusts the sequencing — will shape the plan’s viability in the days ahead.

UAE says Iranian missile struck ADNOC tanker in Strait of Hormuz

The United Arab Emirates condemned what it described as an Iranian missile attack Saturday on a tanker operated by state oil company ADNOC transiting the Strait of Hormuz, saying the strike violated a U.N. Security Council resolution on freedom of navigation; no injuries were reported, Reuters reported. Regional outlets report ADNOC has said more than a dozen of its vessels have been attacked since the conflict began.

The attack came as Iran and Oman signaled they are close to a deal on managing the waterway. Iranian officials insist the strait will not fully reopen unless the United States agrees to end the war, withdraw forces and provide compensation, according to CNN, which also reported, citing sources, that the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff has privately argued for finding an off-ramp from the conflict. Oman has warned that continued attacks on shipping could derail the talks. Vice President JD Vance has said the administration’s goal is to maximize oil and gas flows through the strait.

Tehran releases rare footage of supreme leader amid health questions

Iranian state media released rare video of Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei and reported that President Masoud Pezeshkian met with him in July — described as the first publicly reported meeting since Khamenei assumed the role, Reuters reported. The footage, aired by the semi-official Mehr News Agency, did not indicate when or where it was recorded.

These claims originate with Iranian state media and could not be independently verified. The release follows sustained speculation about Khamenei’s health and his near-total absence from public view amid the war. Officials quoted in state media said additional footage would be released, a step analysts read as an effort to counter succession speculation. Treat specifics with caution until corroborated by independent reporting.

Alleged cartel leader Daniel Kinahan extradited to Ireland, remanded in custody

Daniel Kinahan, the alleged leader of a transnational organized crime group, appeared before Ireland’s Special Criminal Court on Sunday evening after being extradited from the United Arab Emirates, UPI reported. Kinahan, 49, was charged with a single count of directing the activities of a criminal organization between 2015 and 2017 and was remanded in custody until October 5. He was arrested in Dubai in April on an Irish warrant, CBS News reported.

The charge is an allegation, and the case is pending before the three-judge court. The U.S. Treasury Department sanctioned the Kinahan organized crime group in 2022, describing it at the time as a global drug-trafficking network. The extradition, carried out aboard an Irish government aircraft under heavy security, records suggest, marks one of the most significant organized-crime prosecutions in Irish history.

Worth Watching

Tuesday — primaries in four states. Connecticut, Minnesota, Vermont and Wisconsin hold statewide primaries, alongside special congressional primaries in Alabama districts redrawn under the state’s new map, per the 270toWin calendar. Results will sharpen the midterm picture in several competitive races.

Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. ET — July inflation data. The Bureau of Labor Statistics releases the July Consumer Price Index, a key reading on how tariffs and wartime energy disruptions are feeding through to consumer prices, with implications for Federal Reserve policy expectations.

Supreme Court docket. The administration’s promised emergency filing in the ballroom case is expected within the D.C. Circuit’s 14-day stay window, and the pending application over the elections executive order could draw action at any time as midterm ballot deadlines approach.

Diplomacy and defense. Iran-Oman talks on the Strait of Hormuz continue against the backdrop of Saturday’s tanker attack; Washington’s next move on the Gaza roadmap impasse is unresolved; and defense contractors face a late-August deadline to answer the Pentagon’s demand for accelerated production plans.

The Morning Wire is compiled from wire reports, court records and official statements. Where claims rest on state media or single-source reporting, they are flagged as such. Entities and individuals referenced are invited to respond; replies will be noted in future briefings. — The Investigative Journal

ByEduardo Bacci

Investigative journalist and founder of The Investigative Journal. Specializing in OSINT-driven reporting on corporate malfeasance, government accountability, and institutional corruption.